In the heat of the summer, on-the-job mistakes get made and that can lead to accidents. While we are very proactive as a temporary employment agency regarding the safety of all our employees, we like to remind our clients and workers alike about safety standards of which they should be mindful.
This quote from an article by Don Brown on the BASICSAFE website says it well: “According to a study published in the American Journal of Industrial Medicine, temporary workers are twice as likely to suffer injuries as full-time employees doing the same jobs. What’s more, the injured temps averaged 40 missed workdays, compared to just 27 among full-timers…’We’ve seen over and over again temporary workers killed or seriously injured on their first day at work,’ David Michaels, Director for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), told the New York Times. ‘When we investigate, we see that most employers don’t treat temporary workers the way they treat their permanent employees – they don’t provide them with the training that is necessary.’”
Frightening statistics indeed but easily correctable with some proactive planning and training. Solutions for temp employees include:
- Train temp workers on your company’s safety procedures as well as your job sites’ unique hazards and how to use job safety analysis documents to mitigate them.
- Keep thorough records of incidents that occur throughout each year to determine your company’s trouble spots.
- Before beginning a task, check training records to ensure your workers have the specific qualifications the job requires.
- Conduct weekly or even daily safety meetings where everyone can voice their concerns.
- Make all data sheets, warning signs and safety procedures readily available to new workers.
As with most issues involving workplace safety or productivity, an organized plan of action to deal with issues before they appear is the best way to go. OSHA has resources available that can help. And you can read the entire article from BASICSAFE right here to learn more.
Do you need temp workers for your labor demands? Having trouble finding new employees or the time to recruit them? Flex-Team wants to help. With over 30 years in the business of furnishing temp workforce solutions, we know who you need and how to help staff your light industrial company. Please call us to get started with our temporary employees and temp-to-hire services today! (330) 745-3838 for Akron, Ohio and (330) 489-9111 for Canton, Ohio.